Thursday, April 19, 2012

Deerfield Beach or Fort Lauderdale?

I am planning a spring break trip to the Fort Lauderdale area for my husband and two kids, ages 12 and 14. Here%26#39;s what we like:





Hotel: nice beach, beachfront room, if possible, good pool (doesn%26#39;t have to be anything fancy), comfortable beds, restaurants we can walk to, preferably a pleasant walk.





Activities: The kids love to swim in the ocean and especially like to boogie board. I%26#39;m assuming the ocean is somewhat comfortable to swim in during mid-March? Are there waves to boogie board? We also love snorkel and ride bikes.





We are looking at Deerfield Beach, Embassy Suites. I%26#39;d like to find a place for $250-$300.





Any suggestions? We are flying into Fort Lauderdale and would like our destination to be as close as possible to there (though we%26#39;d drive up to 1 1/2 hours).





Thank you!



Deerfield Beach or Fort Lauderdale?


Fort Lauderdale/Deerfiled generally only has very gentle waves , unless it is a very windy day. I taught high school students and on windy days,many of our students( and a few of our surfer dude teachers ) used to call in sick. There are much better waves further north in Cocoa Beach ( home of the world famous Ron-Jon Surf Shop) and Melbourne- but o course the water will be colder there.





If you decide to chance it and come to Deerfield, I think the Embassy Suite is an excellent choice- recently remodeled , right on the beach and about a two or three block walk up to a nice little street of restaurants, pizza joints and beach wear and ice cream shops. My favorite place is breakfast at Rocco%26#39;s in the ( of all things) Howard Johnson%26#39;s there . I would ordinarily never dine in an HJ , but this is a concession , with an Ocean view and a outdoor cafe and they have great pancakes and French toast- I%26#39;m told dinner ( Italian) is great too- i think Rattlesnake Jakes , just west of there, is a great casual Mexican joint too. between all those places and your rental car too it would be a great choice, but I can%26#39;%26#39;t honestly tell you boogie boarding is fantastic anywhere in the S. Florida area, unless the wind kicks in..



Deerfield Beach or Fort Lauderdale?


On an average day the waves are good enough for some casual boogie boarding and body surfing, but aren%26#39;t anything great. I%26#39;m there for Christmas and New Year%26#39;s Day each year, and the water%26#39;s always fine. A bit cool at first, of course, but one forgets about it quickly.





There%26#39;s some good mountain biking at Markham Park and Oleta River State Recreation Area.



Kristian




Thanks to both of you for your advice - I appreciate it!




Which place you go to really depends on how much non-beach activity you want to engage in, since the ocean is pretty much the same in both locations. Ft. Lauderdale has many more things to offer and a much wider choice of hotels/motels and tons more restaurants, although walking to them may be an issue. Deerfield is quaint and cute (at least by the ocean) but dining choices are very limited. If you go there, try the Ocean Terrace Inn, overlooking the ocean: it has suites which will accommodate a family.




I agree with Lulu about Embassy Suites - with free breakfast and reception in the evening, it%26#39;s hard to beat. Also, the hotel has just completed a major renovation. While Deerfield Beach may be a little quieter, it%26#39;s a great area!



I%26#39;m laughing at my image of Bluecuzco%26#39;s response about Markham Park. Mountain biking......the highest point in South Florida is an overpass and to think of ';mountain'; biking cracks me up!




I really appreciate everyone%26#39;s help. I tend to over think things and here I am still trying to decide where to stay! Now we are between the Embassy Suites Deerfield and the Marriott Hollywood Beach. Any thoughts on these two choices?




If it were me, I%26#39;d stay at Embassy Suites. Full breakfast, cocktails in the evening....and a suite as opposed to a room. Can%26#39;t beat it for a family of 4.




i agree with abby, these are my 2 favorite hotels in the ft. lauderdale area but embassy has more room if going with children, if it was just 2, i might go with the marriott hollywood, both choices are great.


  • homemade mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment