Monday, April 23, 2012

Relocating to St. Augustine

Hi,

I moved to northeast Jacksonville almost 2yrs ago from small town up north to be close to family and have never really adjusted to this place. At all.

I%26#39;ve narrowed it down to St. Aug. or Amelia/Fernandina Beach area but extremely interested in St. Aug. and wondering if any updated info on living there (partic. historic district, but open to other areas) in terms of crime, friendliness, laid-back/liberal type people or not, etc.

Self-employed so no issues there; main concern as single female mid30s is safety, second is ease of getting to know people-bit harder to do working at home sometimes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Relocating to St. Augustine

Hiya,

Check out this website to get basic statistics on St. Aug and to compare it to other cities:

http://www.city-data.com/

(zip 32084 being downtown area, and 32080 being the island/ beach area)

Overall, I feel the historic area is safe, people are friendly, and ';fairly'; liberal. I think it all depends on who you associate with? I could never live in Jax, personally.

Good luck!

Relocating to St. Augustine

Thanks for the help, will look into the links you posted.


Hello Mn711 thanks for choosing St.Augustine. You are gonna like living in the downtown area and its beaches area. There are things to do and see in the old city you may want to check it out.

Hope you enjoy living in the downtown and its beaches area as much as we all do :)))

Mehmet


Maybe you are in the wrong part of Jax. I think JAX is a thriving ';young'; professional up and coming community and many better opportunities for meeting other young people (30%26#39;s or so ) than St. Augustine. I know there are many young people moving to Jax whereas in St. Augustine, from what I have seen (and I do admit I see most of what I see in pubs and restaurants and the steets of the historic district) many young adults either are not into working here or into the drink or some other kind of partying. I talk and know many people and am not the only one who has this opinion. I tell my friends ';to bring a man with you when you move here; or forget it';. There aren%26#39;t any here. Lots of older hippie-types wandering around still from the late 60%26#39;s.

I think you can get to know people easily here and many ar very friendly (and then they ask to sleep on your couch for a few days or to borrow your car, just until they find another job). I think you have a better chance at a social life with others your age in Jax, sorry, locals. I will probably get skinned for this!

Perhaps moving to another part of Jax would help. Go on the Jax forum and write or post there. THere is a destination expert there called Trixie (I lurk on the Jax forum) who could help you immensely and is very knowledgeable about Jax area.

Life in the historic district is very safe; and the walking here is superb and the history wonderful; but making a network of professional people your age woudl be difficult. Sorry, that is just how I see it. You need a bigger area.

Amelia Island; Fernandina Beach the same.

  • client time
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment